It might be worth doing some of this work with an ORM (Object Relation
Mapper).  Almost all higher level languages have them.  Once you get
things configured, the messiness of the joins is hidden behind
syntactic sugar.

Here is a comparison of a lot of them from wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_object-relational_mapping_software

SQLAlchemy is a market leader for python.  If you are a microsoft
shop, I understand LINQ us really nice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Integrated_Query#LINQ_to_SQL