>From : Adrian Halid

> Has anybody tried or found an ORM for Universe.
>
> I am looking at something along the lines of
> NHibernate or Entity Framework.

[AD]

Yes, and to my knowledge there is only one.  mv.NET includes a
component called Solution Objects.  You start with your standard
dictionary defs.  You add details required for strongly typed
properties to create Extended definitions.  You then define
business objects which aggregate files and BASIC rules, and
define strongly typed collections and relationships amongst the
various classes.  Then you generate C# or VB.NET code which you
then compile into a DLL.  The new modules are as capable as those
of NHibernate or EF for validating data, supporting read-only
properties, managing cascading updates, etc.  You have all of the
source and can walk through and change the functionality if
required.  The code is generated off of templates (like
CodeSmith) which you can change to effect global changes to your
apps.  Direct file read/write is managed for you, or you can
choose to have I/O go through your BASIC code (which is more
in-line with the way we all prefer to do it).

You can give your finalized library to clients or colleagues to
represent their view into your platform.  Some VARs want to offer
their more sophisticated clients a new advanced interface into
the app - this is it.  Give them a DLL and support it just like
any other component of your app (for free or fee).  As a service
I offer to build and support SDKs like this for VARs.

Since you're in Australia, I recommend you contact T-Data Pty
Ltd, as they are your regional resellers for mv.NET.  As a
worldwide Distributor I'll also be happy to answer all questions,
and to provide mv.NET and related development services.

Before Solution Objects, I created a MV provider for CSLA and
..netTiers, and I wrote my own Visual Studio plugin which
generates strongly typed classes from a MV datasource.  I was
also writing a plugin based on the FOSS SQLite provider, which
allows all Database Explorer functionality from VS, so that we
could create EF libraries from MV as easily as we could from SQL
Server.  This was fun and the tools were very useful to me for
that kind of work.  But given that there is almost no market in
this community for such things, and my time for tool development
was limited, I decided to direct all of my efforts in this area
toward helping to make Solution Objects the kind of solution that
we all want in this kind of tool.  There really isn't anything
else like this in this market, so not only is mv.NET Solution
Objects the only option, but it also happens to be a very good
one.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno