From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: December-21-11 7:43 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Is there any ORM's for Universe. NHibernate, Entity Framework
etc

Robert, sincere apologies, and thanks for the correction.

To avoid misunderstandings, there is a huge difference between a DataSet and a
strongly typed business object.  They are sometimes used alternatively but
there are times when one or the other is absolutely required.  If ORM was as
simple as returning a dataset we wouldn't have a need for ORM frameworks like
NHibernate, CSLA, or commercial offerings like the Telerik OpenAccess ORM.

Here is one excellent Q&A on the topic:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/657327/is-dataset-an-orm

[Another obligatory AD tag here I guess]

The word "proprietary" may prompt some discussion: Every framework does what it
does in a unique fashion, that's what differentiates it from others.  In this
regard, all commercial and FOSS frameworks are "proprietary".  But I did
mention that the source which mv.NET generates is completely open, as are the
templates that it uses.  The generated classes are all "partial"
which means you can modify the generated code.  But preferred and better,
partial stub classes are also generated which allow developers to hook into
functionality at many key points.
Generate the base classes as many times as you want and never lose your mods.
In the context of the request for an ORM, people actually do want to generate
DLLs which are proprietary to their own application.  There's nothing wrong
with that, that's the goal, and that's exactly what mv.NET helps VARs to
generate.  I position this as a feature.

In addition to Solution Objects and the code generator component, mv.NET also
includes the Adapter Objects library which renders collections of items as a
strongly-typed DataSet, with Tables, Rows, Columns, etc.  UO.NET has similar
functionality.  All this, yes, and much much more, are included in the same
reasonably priced offering.

Now, mv.NET does Not have any functionality related to Java.  If you need to
deploy over *nix or you're creating JARs for existing Java clients, then I
highly recommend investigation of FusionWare's offerings as a valuable superset
of UOJ.

As an independent developer, my position in this game of tool sales is
different from others.  I sell specific software packages because I like them -
I don't like them because I sell them.  I won't sell software or services to a
company if I know there's a better solution for a specific need.  So I
recommend that anyone interested in connectivity above and beyond UO should
look at all of the options.  If it turns out that someone likes the same tools
I like, great, the commission earns me a cup of coffee for my time.  If not, I
hope to benefit by learning why people made other choices.  It's all about
solutions, not tools - or should be anyway.