I dump csv files and convert to true excel with perl using Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module. Once scripted it's pretty painless and automated.

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Israel, John R.
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:40 PM
To: 'U2 Users List'
Subject: [U2] Building an Excel File

We are running UniData on a UNIX platform.  We create tab-delimited txt files
(and tab delimited txt files with xls extensions) all the time that users open
with Excel.  Many of these jobs are run in the middle of the night or in a
trigger program.  In all cases, there is no direct user interaction building
these files.

We also have some XML files that are coded so that Excel opens them with
formatting, colors, filters, etc.

Unfortunately, our BB users and iPhone users can not open these files up in a
meaningful way.

Is there a way to build a TRUE Excel file without any user intervention from
UniData or UNIX?

John

John Israel
Senior ERP Developer

Dayton Superior Corporation
1125 Byers Rd  Miamisburg, OH 45342
Office: 937-866-0711 x44380
Fax: 937-865-9182

johnisr...@daytonsuperior.com

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please
notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and
attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking
of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this
message is prohibited.

Jeff Butera, PhD
Manager of ERP Systems
Hampshire College