From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 8:06 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Building an Excel File

Not responding to any particular quote here, just the CSV topic in general.

Respected colleagues, CSV is not Excel. If you have an end-user that asks
for Excel and you give them a CSV you're just perpetuating the myth that
Pick is a dinosaur. They will gladly spend tens of thousands of dollars to
replace your application with something that creates real Excel (and PDF)
despite the fact that such things can be attained at low cost or no cost
right now. Trust me, I've seen it happen.

This dove-tails with the reasons why people get 20 people to support Oracle
when they can have 3 working on Pick.  The reason is that the Oracle people
say "yes", and give them pretty reports, when their Pick guys say "no", and
give them plain text in columns and rows and call it "Excel".

Please don't let that happen to you.  Be sure you are properly responding to
end-user requests. Just ask them what they do with the documents after you
generate them. If they really just want raw data, OK. But if they go on to
tell you how many days it takes to reformat the data, assemble the multiple
CSVs into a single workbook, etc, then you have found a great deal of room
for improvement. Yeah, I've been there too.

Off the soapbox, thanks.