I think somewhere this jumped the track.
No one is saying that CSV is Excel
Rather the OP wanted a way to read an "Excel" file on the Iphone.
Can the Iphone natively read Excel files?

I know that it can natively read csv files, because we're doing it.
It puts the csv file into a neat table with a border, with columns and rows all
autosized and pretty with no effort whatsoever.

So the solution could be simply to change the "Excel" files into csv files and
voila you have no problem anymore for the Iphone.

This doesn't address the issue of whether existing Excel files, or Excel files
you receive from others can be handled.

It only addresses the issue of reading "Tables" (of some kind) on the Iphone.