Thanks to all who responded.

At the point in the programs where this is a problem for us, we know the user
has a lock, we just want to release the lock. This will be done where they
already have the option of aborting so no problem with partial updates, etc.

The only gotcha on this is if they type one character, the INPUTIF will wait
forever on the Enter key but this isn't too likely.

The following code does this pretty well.

* Don Robinson
* Testing the INPUTIF statement.
*
PROMPT ''
*
ZZ = ''
TIME.OUT.TIME = INT(TIME()) + 10  ;* Wait 10 seconds.
LOOP
   INPUTIF ZZ THEN EXIT
   NAP 100
   IF INT(TIME()) > TIME.OUT.TIME THEN
      CRT 'The user is sleeping....'
      STOP  ;* Do whatever you want here.
   END
REPEAT
*
* User entered something, proceed as usual.
*
CRT
CRT 'User entered: ': ZZ
*