PCAnywhere works really well on windows servers, good security

Robert
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Cheney" <peter.che...@firstmac.com.au>
To: "U2 Users List" <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [U2] Unidata 6.1.13/AIX 5.3 Stops Unexpectedly

Distance should not be an obstacle. You may not be able to physically access the console but console access should still be possible either by getting someone else to physically eyeball it or a launch remote console session yourself.

How about using something like a Cyclades terminal server to access one or more host consoles remotely via ssh? Even if a Cyclades is not an option then what about a network connected management facility such as an ALOM/ILOM or similar? Again via ssh, login and launch the console process from there. As long as the chassis had power then you should have LOM access if the WAN is available.

Voila! Serial console heaven from the other side of the world even. Sure talking someone on the other end of a phone through a system recovery is not the easiest of tasks and it may not be as quick as direct connect in the same room or even an ssh session over your LAN but it sure would beat an acoustic coupled 300 baud half duplex modem that we used to use at AWA to dial in and fix GFE's etc.

So how do you access your system console?

Cheers
Peter