We don't really have the luxury to rewrite the entire system.
But we can fix one program a day....

-----Original Message-----
From: Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk>
To: u2-users <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Fri, Feb 8, 2013 1:22 am
Subject: Re: [U2] Record locks (Unidata 7.2)

On 08/02/13 07:30, Tony Gravagno wrote:
> I think people understand exactly what you're saying, but disagree.
> Most applications don't use the more rigorous coding for having a
> Locked clause that provides additional information to the user,
> retries, etc. That's not "wrong", it's just not necessary ...
> depending on the site.

And even in an office, if you code properly, an unprotected READU can
make sense.

The proper way to program data entry (if you can) is to read everything,
get the info from the user, and then RERUN THE TRANSACTION using locks
to stash it safely away.

That way, you should never get a program hanging on a lock for more than
a second or so (I know I know ...)

Cheers,
Wol