I should add that (in our test account) I switched to the READU statement along
with a LOCKED clause ->

  READU STU.REC FROM STU.FILE, STU.ID LOCKED
    CRT STU.ID:" RECORD IS LOCKED"
  END THEN
    STU.REC<48> = INST.CRED
    STU.REC<49> = INET.CRED
    WRITE STU.REC ON STU.FILE, STU.ID
  END

 I locked one of the records in the list I was processing.  When the program
was working on that record, the CRT statement was executed, and the program
moved right along processing the rest of the list; and record I had locked was
not updated.

Looking through the 'UniBasic Commands Reference' PDF, I found 'RECORDLOCKED
(file.var, rec.id.expr)'.  Perhaps this could be used within a LOOP to control
things, allowing terminal input where the user can choose what to do about the
record lock?

I've decided to write the data to a new file, so this is no longer a big issue
for me.  If I had created the program using our vendor's tool kit, the
generated code would have added all the appropriate gunk the system uses for
record locks.  The responses have been interesting as I've been looking for a
chance to better understand how Unidata shops handle locks.

Thank you,
Jon Wells