Hi David

If you upgrade to the latest UV version you have access to the built-in UV DB
audit logging facility. Then you can setup a logging event to log changes to
the file(s) in question. Hence, not violating the NDAs nor application flow
(which you would have too if modifying the file with adding indices / triggers
or the like).

A simple file-based trigger (not the UV/SQL triggers - which a different more
powerful beasts) that copies could make a copy to your own file or invokes a
BASIC program/script to send notifications should do the trick too.
A working example someone has posted on U2-Users List:
http://u2-universe-unidata.1073795.n5.nabble.com/universe-11-1-triggers-via-indexing-and-IDX-IOTYPE-sample-tc41706.html#a41718

Audit logging is not for you unless you upgrade UV....but perhaps in the
future...I guess you need a job to check the audit log for these events...too
https://docs.rocketsoftware.com/nxt/gateway.dll/RKB14/universe/11.2/security1.pdf

See page 372 Section 7 for Audit logging

BTW: Look at from the vendors' perspective they have a lot of intellectual
property tied up in their product. They sell it with consultancy, etc. It's how
they make their living - pay their bills and eat... ;) Plus a lot of clients go
out of their way not to pay for anything... it's a two-way rocky road sometimes!

Regards,
David