Dan, that's a GREAT question.  Still doesn't dig deep into the technical
prowess, but it could definitely expose adaptability, which is a valuable
skill in this profession.

As to the last Thursday, it's actually even simpler than you described.
 Calculate the first day of the next month and then back up day by day
until you hit a Thursday.  There's an optimization where you could
calculate the day of the month for the first of the next month and then
calculate the difference to roll back to Thursday, but that's a bonus if
they go that far.

Of course, now if any of my esteemed colleagues here decide to apply for
one of my open positions, I'll have to change the question!  (No worries, I
have several other questions from which to choose.)

This has been a great discussion, and I appreciate everyone's input!

-K