Does this opcode stuff come into play on the outside where we write code.
Please provide an example.
Thanks.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: The result of VARIABLE[1,3] + 0

> There is a numeric type or "datum" as some people call it.
> Since we are talking MV here and not specifically one vendor.
>
> If you look at the opcode of an ADDS machine there is a code for LOADS
(string) and also a seperate one for LOADN (numeric).  This implies that
there are in fact two seperate types of variables.  If you inquire into the
frame where the variable map is being stored as it's running (workspace not
object code) you will see that yes a string variable starts with a 09 and a
numeric I forgot I think its a 01 or 02 ...
>    At any rate, its not stored as a string while running, but rather I
believe its probably stored based on whatever the last action was on it.  A
numeric action returns a numeric value and is stored as a numeric.  A string
action like concatenation would probably switch it to be stored, at that
moment, at any rate, as a string.  I didn't test *this* behaviour
explicitly, so I'm not quite sure.