While I can not speak to the support problem in South Africa,
I can relate to you a problem I experienced this week.

I have a development machine running UniVerse on WinXP PRO.
For no apparent reason UniVerse began to hang.  The UniVerse
services would use up all the available cpu cycles and after a
while the whole machine would come to almost to a complete
halt.  After working with IBM second level support no cause
could be found.  I began shutting down services to try and
isolate the problem.  The second service I shut down was
Apache Tomcat 4.1.  Immediately the system seemed to speed
up.  I disabled the service and restarted UniVerse and the
problem has not returned.  It seems that uvservice and Tomcat
service fight each other for resources.

While this may not have anything to do with your problem, it is
one more thing you can check.

Good Luck
Ron White