Ian Stuart wrote:

Firstly, the performance of OOo is really good and we have not been able to match it with MS Office on a thin-client platform. At a customer site we have successfully migrated 45 users onto a single Intel-based server running Linux and OpenOffice for thin-client based users. This includes those users who have the RTC syndrome (resistance to change) like the executive secretaries and personal assistants. Whatever functionality may be missing in OOo that is in MS Office is obviously not used. This includes receiving and sending MS Office documents (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) to the corporate head-office who have inplemented MS Office.

We have thousands of users on Universe on Linux. We ended up building our own distro of Linux to get all the features we wanted, like very good support for IBM eSeries Intel based servers. Our distro has support for things like the Serveraid Card and such built right in. We make medical office management software.

We initially were going to use AbiWord as an "integrated" editor/word-processor, but it mostly does what we want, but OOo has turned out to be a much better solution, and opens some really big integration possiblities with Universe.

What about the porting of UniVerse/UniData to Linux on the pSeries.

I don't see why it isn't there already!

ttyl
     Farrell

--
"Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective
stories." -- Sir Arthur C. Clarke

Farrell J. McGovern                                      Crowell Systems
Linux Systems Admin.            Toll Free (US and Canada) 1-800-366-4564
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     http://crowellsystems.com