UML can be used for this, though it's been around 5 years since we have done anything
serious.

At the time we were a Rational Rose Partner, and were following the work of
"BoldSoft", who had developed a round trip model driven development environment that
generated applications in Delphi. We had developed an SQL Schema generator as a
plug-in, but had an MV version as well (which was never commercially sold)

Suffice to say that Rational came out with there own inbuilt schema generator, and
BoldSoft was acquired by Delphi.

Anyway, Rose was "nice" because at the end of the day you could save/load a UML
document as an "ordinary" (structured) text file, which was easy to read, generate &
process on the "pick" side of the equation.

I haven't looked at Rose in recent years, but I would imagine that there is now an XML
output option, and support for XML Data Structures, which map quite nicely to mv Data.

But somehow I don't think that any money spent on a code generation module out the
back end of Rose is going to see a return

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage – an Evolution in Software Development

---