> Why not ask the alternate question of why the SQL Server can't handle
the > backend?

Simple Reason... "Management Politics".

> No one is saying UV is a truly 'enterprise' class DB.

WE AGREE 100% NOW! I was just trying to say the above.

Going MainStream and staying with BIG THREE is Better for the
future of the Company's Needs. BIG THREE has A LOT OF INVESTMENT
in R&D and they are constantly on TOP OF TECHNOLOGY!.

E.G. Is ASP.NET similar to Java J2EE? YES... as a matter of fact
ASP.NET Copied a lot of the CORE Techniques... but why is ASP.NET
just a little more better than Java J2EE?
CAUSE:
MS Had more money to PUMP into R&D and were able to REFINE some of
the Techniques...e.g. Core improvement in RUNTIME ENVIROMENT AND
COMPILATION.

I know you are one of the GURU's OF UV System, it nice to hear some
agreement on this argument.

Thanks,
Joe Eugene

On
> Behalf Of David T. Meeks
> Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:56 AM
> To: U2 Users Discussion List
> Subject: RE: Modern Universe - was: The lists are closing
>
> So, UV does everything on the BackEnd, but SQL Server does your data
> warehousing.
> And you question why UV can't support the DW?  Why not ask the
alternate
> question
> of why the SQL Server can't handle the backend?
>
> No one is saying UV is a truly 'enterprise' class DB.  It's not
marketed
> as
> such.  It's
> an extremely efficient, low-cost, high-performance, zero
administration DB
> primarily
> geared at being the backend (as you have now) for application usage.
It's
> primarily used
> as an embedded database shipped as part of a solution package.  It is
> seldom sold as a
> stand-alone DB.
>
> Building actual "applications" that directly go at your Oracle/DB2's
of
> the
> world is
> a pain in the arse.  Administering said DBs is also a high-cost,
complex,
> cumbersome
> task as well.
>
> Highlighting that the couple of UV people on your staff not knowing
XML is
> somehow
> a weakness in the product is ludicrous.  My wife is an Oracle
> expert/DBA/etc...  she
> can barely spell XML.  Does this imply Oracle's XML support sucks?  Of
> course not.
>
> Again, you pick on UV, claiming you have to use DataStage to pull data
out
> of UV
> into SQL Server.
>
> Why then:
> a)  Doesn't SQL Server sufficiently handle your back-end?
> b)  Can't SQL Server directly access the data?
> c)  Is DataStage, the tool being used to do this (and handles Web
> Services,
> XML,
>          XPath, XSLT, etc...), built on top of UniVerse?
>
> Finally, don't fall into the mistake that performing well would mean
you
> would be
> in the top 3.
>
> Why?  Simple... marketing wins over technology almost all the
> time.  Informix was
> a great example.  They had a wonderfully performant VLDB technology.
They
> did very well in OLTP benchmarks.  Yet, they weren't a top 3 DB (being
> #4/#5,
> depending on the timeframe).
>
> The U2 products are great products.  They are not 'cutting edge', but
they
> are not
> way behind either.  Their target market is very different from the
> "BigThree", and
> many would argue they are much better at the job they are intended for
> than the
> Big Three.  They are NOT better at all things.   But, for low-cost,
> low-maintenance
> embedded data base support with high-performance, high-user
concurrency
> support,
> it's hard to beat it.
>
> Dave
>
> At 11:27 AM 3/29/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >We have UV doing everything on the BackEnd, we also have MSSQL Server
> >Support Data Warehousing... Why 2 Databases Systems?
> >Cause UV Cant support Data Warehousing?
> >Doesn't this eventually introduce Disparate Systems?
> >
> > > U2, for example, has support for Java connectivity, XML, and I
believe
> > > they either have or are working on Web Services support
> >
> >Its funny you say the above, UV/PICK Guys in our Team didn't even
> >understand
> >the basics of XML.. leave alone XPath, XQuery etc. These Technologies
> >are NATIVELY Supported in ORACLE/DB2 Etc.
> >
> >e.g. We pull XML Reports from our Vendors Real Time. I have to parse
> >through the XML and give UV/PICK Guys a FLAT TEXT File... cause
either
> >UV Cannot handle the storage and Retrival of XML Data Using
XPath/XQuery