Joe

You must have more time on your hands than I but I will try to reply to you
before this list terminates.

This list has helped me and I'm sure many others overcome our ignorance or
lack of experience etc. When genuine problems are encountered we usually go
through our support channels and they get fixed (usually). In fact only the
other day a small issue was confirmed (in my mind) as an introduced bug and
I have since reported it to IBM with their response being "acknowledged" and
"will be in the next release" etc.

Now, one of my pet topics is typing!

You are partly correct when you say UV treats all data as strings. However,
if the UV programmer is careful he/she can get it to do maths processing.
Variables within UVBasic are string unless the result of an expression is
numeric whereby it becomes numeric. If it needs to be treated as string UV
will automatically convert it back to string. Now this makes programming
much easier and if the programmer is careful not to treat it as a string
he/she can perform many mathematical operations on it without it becoming a
string again.

Now this brings me to the next point when referring to typing.

UV stores numeric data such as dates, time and numbers as a string value
with no decimal point etc. quite deliberately. This technique makes
selection or searches on the file much more efficient than 'mainstream'
searches as they must use the numeric capabilities of the processor to carry
out the necessary comparisons whereby UV simply does string comparisons.

Now at this point I must draw back a little as I have too many comments to
make...

The procedural code you provide is crude to say the least and yes there are
many tools that allow you to use more 'business rules' and so forth.

Finally, in Australia where we generally are considered to be minor players
there is an UV site with 2000 plus concurrent users on a wide area network
that processes 3-4 million transactions per day 7x24 and has to date been
first to bring new technologies to the market before any 'mainstream'
products. Poof is in the eating I'm afraid.

Cheers

Trevor Ockenden
OSP