[snip]
I wonder what the REAL numbers are - I mean theory is one thing, but how do
the numbers stack up in the real world? How many people are there that
actually do use, or WANT to use (I'm talking management want here, not the
"gee, if I had my way" kind of thing) non-windows platforms on the desktop
?.
[snip]

At this current job we are virtually a total MS shop on the desktop.  That
is to say that we have around 3300 Windows machines and 4 (count 'em 4)
Macs.  The Macs are used by the graphic art department.

The last company I worked for (3 years ago) was an aluminum smelter and was
total MS.  However my previous employer (7 years ago) which was based in
Portland, Oregon had 90% Macs and 10% MS Windows.  The accounting department
had the Windows machines.  Everyone else (about 200 or so) had Macs.  In
fact we did all of our UD/SB+ development on Macs.  My understanding is that
they still have that setup at the headquarters but UD/SB+ was replaced with
a system utilizing Oracle.

Gordon J. Glorfield
Sr. Applications Developer
MAMSI (A UnitedHealth Company)