This is the best response I obtained arguing that an artificial brain is on the horizon:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [UAI] Research indicating that we will have true artificial intelligence in the next 10 to 100 years
Date:   Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:01:14 -0400
From:   Fry, Robert L. <robert....@jhuapl.edu>
To:     Richard E. Neapolitan <richard.neapoli...@northwestern.edu>

Firstly, we have collectively failed at this endeavor so far. Unlike the past,

however, there are clearly ongoing research threads that imply that

the 10 to 100 year is reasonable.  This is of course an opinion based

on my own research and views.  These threads include:

o The DARPA Physical Intelligence program <http://www.darpa.mil/Our_Work/DSO/Programs/Physical_Intelligence.aspx>, its goals, and its progress to

establish the physical basis for intelligence, e.g., the Carnot cycle whereby

 an open system extracts information from its environment reducing its

 entropy and allowing it to make decisions to control its future.

o The recent April 2013 /Phys Rev. Lett./ paper by Wissner-Gross Causal Entropic Forces <http://www.alexwg.org/publications/PhysRevLett_110-168702.pdf>

and their take on the thermodynamic basis of intelligence. See their videos,

examples, and visit their start-up from MIT.

o The work of Karl Friston and his Free-energy model of the brain -- see his article

in Nature <http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v11/n2/abs/nrn2787.html>.

o My own research on a fundamental theory of computation <http://www.nicta.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/25991/Another_Information_Revolution_3.0.pdf> which I am

transitioning into a formal engineering framework. I can ostensibly completely

reverse-engineer the cortical neuron viewing it as an autonomous intelligent

system. Might check out the short video I made for 5^th grades as part of the

Flame Challenge that addresses the question "What is Time?" <http://vimeo.com/60858372>

o Relationship of ALL the above to Maxwell's Demon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_demon>,Rolf Landauer's <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landauer%27s_principle> work

and the like.

I believe it will be around 10-15 years max.  Anyway, these are my views

Bob Fry

Prof. Robert Fry

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory