In addition to Robert Fry's list:

(1) There is the human brain project supported by the EU by 1 billion Euro,
aiming at simulating the human brain within the next 10 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Brain_Project

(2) Resolution of brain scanners should in a couple of decades be high enough to solve the 'software problem'
(a boring way of getting the right algorithm)
http://www.singularity.com/charts/page159.html
http://www.singularity.com/charts/page160.html

(3) Moore's law will solve the 'hardware problem' within a couple of decades.

(4) Meanwhile we have a sound and complete theory of what rational intelligence is
http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.6153
which may well lead to practical AGI not based on emulating the human brain.

Some may categorize (2) and (3) as engineering/technology rather than science, but (a) they involve a lot of research and (b) it doesn't really matter what leads to AGI.

A comment on "I took the stance that we have essentially failed":
This negative phrasing would (only) be justified if there was no hope anymore, e.g. no theoretical progress, no practical progress, no new ideas, the end of Moore's law,
or a convincing argument that human-level AI is not possible.
None of this is the case. Given the steady progress in the last 60 years,
a more appropriate phrase would be that "we have not succeeded yet" and
claims it'll take more than 100 years to reach AGI seem quite radical and unsupported.
Most people seem to be either skeptical about human-level AI or euphoric.
I can highly recommend David Chalmers' (famous philosopher of consciousness and AI)
thoughtful and balanced article http://consc.net/papers/singularity.pdf
If you like this one, you may also like my response http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.6177

Cheers,

Marcus

______________________
Marcus Hutter,  Professor
RSISE, Room B259, Building 115
Australian National University
Corner of North and Daley Road
Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
Phone:   +61(0)2 612 51605 (time zone GMT+10:00)
Fax:  +61(0)2 612 58651
Email: marcus.hut...@anu.edu.au
http://www.hutter1.net/

Richard E. Neapolitan wrote:
This is the best response I obtained arguing that an artificial brain is
on the horizon: