It looks that "intelligence" is currently a too vaguely defined term.

Let me give an example: a system successfully learning to drive a car.

Do we consider this to be "intelligence", "true intelligence", "artificial intelligence", "computational intelligence"
or a "system that successfully mimics human-like skills"?

Anyhow, for this type of tasks the relevant question is not
within how many years intelligence will be realized, but how
many years ago it has already been realized. Early successes in neural networks were indeed e.g.

Pomerleau D., Efficient Training of Artificial Neural Networks for Autonomous Navigation, Neural Computation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1991, pp. 88-97.

and more recently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gQ3P5BpLjQ

All of this is reality today and there exist numerous examples
of intelligence at this level.

Therefore by "true artificial intelligence" one probably means
systems that are smarter than this, often referring to understanding
or trying to mimic the human brain.

For this ambitious goal it is expected that an interdisciplinary
understanding of the problem will be needed, see e.g.

- In mathematics

Steve Smale,
Mathematical Problems for the Next Century, Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol 20, (1998) No. 2, 7-15.

in problem 18 limits of intelligence are explicitly posed as open
problems for the century

and connections between learning theory and neuroscience in

Mathematics of the Neural Response,
S. Smale, L. Rosasco, J. Bouvrie, A. Caponnetto, T. Poggio
Foundations of Computational Mathematics
February 2010, Volume 10, Issue 1, pp 67-91

- In physics e.g. comments by Sir Roger Penrose in

A theory of everything?
Nature 433, 257-259 (20 January 2005)
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v433/n7023/full/433257a.html

- the blue brain project http://bluebrain.epfl.ch/

- many others

An integrative interdisciplinary understanding of science is
of course extremely difficult or maybe even impossible to realize,
but will be needed in my opinion to finally arrive at the point
where one can understand (true) intelligence in all its facets,
artificial and human.

Possibly simple and unifying approaches could facilitate this
process. At the level of computational intelligence and machine learning this has been a motivation in our work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QOjatjtBWw

and recently new results at the interface between
quantum mechanics, machine learning, neural networks,
optimization, learning theory, mathematics and statistics
have been reported in

Johan A.K. Suykens,
Generating quantum-measurement probabilities from an optimality principle, Phys. Rev. A 87, 052134 (2013)
http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v87/i5/e052134
http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~sistawww/cgi-bin/newsearch.pl?Name=Suykens+J

which may hopefully contribute to further bridging of different fields
related to intelligence.

Best regards,
Johan

 ----------------------

Prof. Dr.ir. Johan Suykens
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Departement Elektrotechniek - ESAT-STADIUS
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10
B-3001 Leuven (Heverlee)
Belgium
Tel: 32/16/32 18 02