On Saturday 10 June 2006 22:40, Troy James Sobotka wrote:
> I would prefer to get the entire Ubuntu default artwork in
> order before doing _anything_ else.  That said, if we can
> leverage existing simple concepts such as Andreas' notion,
> it would seem like a relatively simple addition with limited
> exertion.

I agree. Getting the default look and feel in good shape is going to be a
pretty tough ride on itself. Offering alternatives is going to require a lot
of custom code to be written to make sure all art aspects are correctly
themed. This leads me to the following point.

> Frank's document pretty much hits on all the points.  We
> need to have a motif and a centralized thematic before
> worrying about specific details.  Otherwise it's hodge
> podge city again.

My current document contains things we can change pretty easily. Because I
haven't gotten to the bundled applications yet, we might not have seen how
deep the rabbit hole goes.

Things (targets) I've kept in mind from the beginning here are for example the
Firefox appearance and GAIM graphics. But we've also got something like
Terminal Server Client with its want-to-be-Windows graphics which really
stand out.

I think we should watch out for trying to do too much right now, because I
want to get a lot more than only the artwork in line. I think Edgy will be
more like the first step than the full journey regarding artwork and
interface consistency. Of course the size of this first step is yet to be
determined.

> Again, my priority is to get the entire Ubuntu look and feel
> in line, which is currently isn't.  Having other themes
> isn't going to help our focus, and I only really can see
> progress on the default install.

Right. I am so sorry I couldn't do more work on the document the past weeks. I
set out to create it for Paris. Partly to show what I think can be improved,
but also to get a clear list of artwork and interface "targets" which need
work.

The list of targets discussed on this mailing list is a nice starting point,
but as far as I can tell it isn't nearly finished yet. But before I can say
something sane about the scope of my personal ideas I need to invest more
time expanding my document. I'll do my best before Paris.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous message(s) regarding the
improvement review, I'm glad to see you think it's useful and I will
certainly try to work on it in the coming days.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep