Sumit Chandra Agarwal wrote:
> I agree with coz on some points below, except rather than his impressive
> several years on the team, I'm speaking from the vantage point of a
> newcomer.
>
> Coming into the community it was fairly surprising to see that art
> development in Ubuntu is chiefly handled through a poorly organized wiki
> (such is the nature of wikis, eh?) and an archaic mailing list.
>
> A proper forum with image posts, etc seems like the perfect plan. It
> would also make discussion and commenting far easier than the current
> wiki (which is why, I assume, most discussion ends up occurring on the
> mailing list instead).

Try reading through the history of mailing list archives.

1) There isn't any real development.  There never has been.

2) The forum idea comes up again and again.  There has been an external
site out there and it was neglected THREE times.  There is yet another
one coming.  Matthew Nuzum could probably tell you when.  I believe it
is in code review.

3) Mailing lists _work_.  If you don't agree, perhaps you should examine
the manner in which about 99% of FOSS is developed.

4) For people with careers, less is more.  Fewer areas to scan makes it
easier to engage the process.  This has been covered time and time
again, and I believe Ken has officially stated something that rather
echoes a similar idea.

The 'problem' with Ubuntu art and design has nothing to do with any
process, tool, etc.  It has to do entirely with larger issues at hand
beyond the scope of any team.

Sincerely,
TJS