On Sunday 03 February 2008 21:21:20 Sumit Chandra Agarwal wrote:
>  Though I'm very new to all this, I couldn't see it being useful to take a
> defeatist view. You're probably right about the mailing lists, though. But
> I think it should be possible to assemble capable teams to push Ubuntu
> forward, as long as there is the a surrounding culture and framework that
> nurtures it. Have you seen KDE 4? Its pretty amazing what that team has
> accomplished and I'm looking forward to giving the next Kubuntu a spin
> because of it. It should be noted however that it seems KDE does also
> organize around mailing lists. -Sumit

I think that Troy is being a realist, actually :-)

In my honest opinion the infrastructure is there for everything to work but
several elements are still missing. We are trying to build an effective team
not just a large interested community lacking contributions but this takes
time.

In case you didn't know I am one of the people who, about 3 years ago, began
schemeing and planning on how to make kde4 artwork what it is today - we
named it Oxygen much later :-). The process of moving from no-team to team
is, in and of itself quite hard - even harder is moving and motivating people
in an existing team (which happens to have a high amount of members but a
smaller number of experienced, knowelgable contributors).

As far as infrastrucuture goes I think the wiki, mailing list and irc channel
have proven to be the most effective channels of communication. I have no
problem with someone wanting to disperse information in another manner but as
the wiki and mailing list are the "official sources of information" anything
else tends to be more a forum for knowlegable users than a place for artistic
contribution and coordination.

--
Ken