I do not think removing the desktop as a junk store is a good idea: think
about a real desk top (the top of a desk!!) - when you are working on
something, it, along with the other bits and pieces are placed over your
desk, along with a scattering of tools (pens, pencils etc). The desktop as a
temporary junk store is a good way of doing things for a lot of people (and
since when was Linux about forcing people to do something!).

The proposition of a new menu is a good idea however I do not like the menus
that people are coming out with that work like the SuSE/KDE4/Vista menus -
how is it possibly a good idea to 1) Have a programs list that *SCROLLS*, 2)
Have all the programs at the top of the menu (when you open the menu by
clicking something underneath it). Sure we need a better system but whatever
is invented should not be a traditional pop up menu. What would probably be
a very good idea is a task bar widget that displays your most frequently
used/last used programs as shortcut icons next to the traditional menus.
This means that it is accessible to newcomers because they don't need to
actively do something to put the icons there, adds the functionality of a
recently used list (which KDE has had for eons), but most importantly it
gives *single click* access to programs!

The reason I am so keen on clinging on to the old classic menu is that the
gnome menu is almost completely organized in a useful manner. This is a
great advantage to new users because it means finding things is simple. Also
it means that finding that new program you just installed is much simpler.
This (automatically) well organized menu is something that KDE, Windows and
Mac do not have and in my eyes it is a massive advantage and not one that
should be thrown away in exchange for a recently used list. (Notice I said
in exchange for not as well as: adding recently used functionality to the
menu would be a good step too!)

Just a few ideas

Jonathan