Jan Niklas Hasse wrote:
> GNOME Applets aren't an alternative because they are only available for
> GNOME. XCFE, KDE, Windows for example use GTK+ applications, too!
> So please stop blaming developers that they shouldn't use the
> notification area without providing an alternative with the same quality
> or wait until such an alternative is available.

I don't think anyone was blaming anyone.  I have an extremely difficult
time seeing exactly what you appear flustered about.

The reality is that there HAS been work to try and get the Notification
Tray some standardization.  Free Software tries to support more than a
few ideas at FreeDesktop.org.  This seems relevant.

If you want small icons for your running programs, I would assume this
can be accomplished through other means.  It _appears_ that the goal of
that spec hints toward this.

If an app isn't 'notifying' you of something in a transient manner, it
simply doesn't appear it should be in that tray according to the spec.
That could very well be a bug.

Sincerely,
TJS