On Feb 10, 2008 10:14 PM, Troy James Sobotka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jan Niklas Hasse wrote:
> > GNOME Applets aren't an alternative because they are only available for
> > GNOME. XCFE, KDE, Windows for example use GTK+ applications, too!
> > So please stop blaming developers that they shouldn't use the
> > notification area without providing an alternative with the same quality
> > or wait until such an alternative is available.
>
> I don't think anyone was blaming anyone.  I have an extremely difficult
> time seeing exactly what you appear flustered about.

I'm flustered about losing all my loved tray icons like skype, pidgin,
rhythmbox, tracker. And these bug reports ("remove tray icon, that's not the
place for an application to be") exist!

The reality is that there HAS been work to try and get the Notification
> Tray some standardization.  Free Software tries to support more than a
> few ideas at FreeDesktop.org.  This seems relevant.

That's good and i hope that this work gets finished before someones is
filling out new bug reports.

> If you want small icons for your running programs, I would assume this
> can be accomplished through other means.

As i said, i'm not aware of any good working alternative.

> If an app isn't 'notifying' you of something in a transient manner, it
> simply doesn't appear it should be in that tray according to the spec.

That could very well be a bug.

You're right, but i would mark it as a WONTFIX, because there's no
alternative for the developers.

That's exactly what i wanted to say:

"Completely agree. If this goes further, that apps in system tray
_should not_ be removed untill that new feature is completely
implented and functional."

And if they shouldn't be removed, their shouldn't be any bug reports
demanding that.