It seems to me that the system-tray-like area for applications to
minimise to must:

1. Use small icons
2. Allow applications to:
2.1. define their own context menu
2.2. display a more detailed interface when left-clicked (a window, an
overlay or a menu)
2.2.1. remove this more detailed interface when left-clicked again

I suggest placing this area at the start (i.e. to the left in LTR
locales) of the window list (the task bar). It should take up no space
when empty and expand and contract to suit its contents.

I'm proposing this particular location for the new area because the
icons represent running programs, so it makes sense to keep them next to
the list of open windows.

Virtually every system tray icon should move there – anything that isn't
providing a transient notification. So, if it appears when you log in,
or when you start an application, it should be in this new area and not
the system tray.

--
Greg K Nicholson