The development of emerald is discontinued since some time now. (more
than a year I think) I see that it's ridiculously easy to make fancy
themes with emerald, but you just shouldn't do it. There isn't a
replacement for emerald yet and nobody knows when this successor will
be ready and if it will support the old emerald themes format.

A short-term solution could be to convert emerald themes to metacity
themes. But that's really a lot of work, since you would need to
reimplement every emerald 'engine' in a metacity theme.

Regards,
Patrick