On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 22:06 -0400, John Baer wrote:

> My observation of the Art Team is there is room for improvement and
> turning things around in a positive manner may not be as hard as it
> appears. Fundamentally we lack a process for success or some may argue
> we simply lack a process.

Motivation, direction, process, I'd say.

It still looks like many lost interest when it became clear that the
Ubuntu default theme and wallpaper is off-limits. It would be up to
representatives of Xubuntu/Edubuntu/Lubuntu to make those projects
appear attractive to contributors in the design realm.

Regarding themes, I really wonder why anyone should tie his efforts
there to Ubuntu (except for modifying the Ambiance/Radiance themes).

The best case is filling a real need. This is why I would like to see
more happen with requests.

To go out there and improve things that don't look right should also
happen more, but there's not much standing in the way except a lack of
initiative.

>   1. Initiate
>   2. Construct/build
>   3. Release

This is so general, it can't happen any way, so the one thing it does
say is that you are not done before a release.

> The goal is to provide quality artwork in a manner which adds value to
> the Ubuntu community.
>
> * The term "Ubuntu community" also includes the derivatives.
>
> The objective is to use a flexible process which encourages inclusion,
> provides recognition of effort, and facilitates collaboration to
> achieve the desired result.

BTW, I edited https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork recently.

Nitpicking: the process is not an objective, but a tool. To facilitate
collaboration can be an objective.

> To begin the dialog and to move this effort along I created a Wiki
> page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Blueprint

> My assumption is we really don't need to build anything, just use the
> tools available. For example use the Art Team Launchpad Blueprint tool
> as our  “job queue”.

I saw enough traces of people not understanding how to use the wiki,
attaching images to random pages without telling anyone, struggling with
the markup. Then you can bet there are many others out there who don't
even try to use it.

Heck, I developed a disdain for the wiki, seeing how confusing editing
long pages is, how ridiculously laborious it is to add images,
especially with thumbnails, how insufficient the hierarchical structure
is ...

We should have WYSIWYG editing, where you can put images right into
place, with automatic thumbnail generation. Including previews for SVGs.

Finally, the wiki is full of pages that never fulfilled a real purpose,
documenting concepts and drafts that went nowhere and hardly anyone even
looks at them. We should discourage a continuation of this waste of
effort.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: