Ivanka Majic wrote:

> The wiki page is somewhat off the mark but I didn't want to edit without
> discussing with you why.

The following comments may be more a * brain dump * than anything else. :-)

I do not know the intent or the desired outcome of the authors of
"screenshots.debian.net", but drawing a conclusion from the URL I assume the
desire was to offer Debian users a method to showcase their desktop.

The Ubuntu Software Centre desires to offer an enhanced user experience by
providing information about products which will assist the user in
determining the suitability of an offering to their needs. Although
“screenshots.debian.net” is a good match, it’s not a perfect match.

* The most pressing issue is screenshots may not be current and reflect what
is being offered. In addition, there is no easy method (?) to expire an
image and/or contact the submitter.

* There is the unknown of appropriate content and this is managed. I realize
“someone” reviews content at "screenshots.debian.net" but the approval
process is unclear.

* The Software Centre is package centric and in reality a package may be an
aggregate of several functional deliverables. Theme packages are a good
example of this.

* In today’s world a graphic image is just one way to deliver information.
The current solution does not support alternatives such as videos in the
form of a screen cast.

* Last, what is the impact to Ubuntu if "screenshots.debian.net" is
unavailable?

All of this leads me to believe building something new may be better than
fixing something old. In addition there is a need from this team for an
image repository. The title “Ubuntu Media Center” comes to mind. :-)

Something tells me if we design it, someone will build it.

Just some thoughts.

John