It is easy to get confused but it is all really quite simple:

Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron comes complete with the Open Office suite which
will read and convert, if necessary, any of the popular formats, even MS
Word and Excel.  A PDF reader and creator is standard.  Firefox is the
standard browser which is also included.  For mail, you have a number of
choices - you can use the standard inclusion called Evolution or easily
install Thunderbird or any of a number of other fine email programmes.

In short, Ubuntu has everything you could possibly want.  There is a
repository with thousands of programmes available to you at the click of a
button, free of charge and also granting you the freedom to adapt any
programme to your particular needs.

It is a secure operating system where you need not be concerned about
malware, intrusions, viruses and other nasties.

Best of all, Ubuntu comes with a world-wide community of fellow Ubuntu users
who will help you along the way.

Go on Amos, take the plunge!

Andre