> What does "ls -l /dev/ttyUSB?" give you?
Yep, as follows:

o...@rob2:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB?
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-08-20 09:43 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 2009-08-20 09:43 /dev/ttyUSB1
o...@rob2:~$

The other thing I've just noticed after testing the device on a work
colleague's laptop (which it worked straight away), is that, browsing
the device in XP, it seems to have nothing more on it then this Voadfone
Connect .exe file, and once launched it's absolutely obsessed in taking
you to the Vodafone Prepaid site at every opportunity. I'm starting to
'smell a rat' from Vodafone here, or is that an unreasonable assumption?
Yeah, I think it's nearly Ebay time for this little modem.  :-)
No, seriously, thanks for everyone's input on this, very much
appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob