On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 10:07 +1000, opm595 wrote:
> > What does "ls -l /dev/ttyUSB?" give you?
> Yep, as follows:
> o...@rob2:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB?
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-08-20 09:43 /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 2009-08-20 09:43 /dev/ttyUSB1
> o...@rob2:~$
>
> The other thing I've just noticed after testing the device on a work
> colleague's laptop (which it worked straight away), is that, browsing
> the device in XP, it seems to have nothing more on it then this
> Voadfone Connect .exe file, and once launched it's absolutely obsessed
> in taking you to the Vodafone Prepaid site at every opportunity. I'm
> starting to 'smell a rat' from Vodafone here, or is that an
> unreasonable assumption?
> Yeah, I think it's nearly Ebay time for this little modem.  :-)

I don't think that there is any need for ebay to get involved at this
stage.  The device is recognised, it is showing up as a device.

Do you get the network manager wizard when you plug in the device?  If
not try this:

Right click on the network manager applet

Select the mobile broadband tab

Click add

Click forward

Select vodafone from the list of providers

Click forward

Give it a name - the default vodafone should be fine

Click Apply

(Left) Click on the network manager applet

Select vodafone from the list

Point your browser to google.com.au

Be impressed that it loaded

Go to http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au and order some beer for
the network manager developers :)  (Note: the Around the World in Twenty
Beers Pack is really good).

Send an email to the list telling everyone how easy it was

Cheers

Dave