From: Dave Hall <dave.h...@skwashd.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10
To: "Tim Mullins" <mullins....@gmail.com>
Cc: ubuntu-au@lists.ubuntu.com

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 15:09 +1100, Tim Mullins wrote:
> I understand your points, and your right. I'm sorry i didn't meant to
> argue.

Its cool. I am happy for people to disagree with me, but you need to
debate the _issue_ with a well reasoned argument.

> I'v just never had a stable Ubuntu Linux system after doing a
> Distribution Upgrade...

I have been using Debian and ubuntu for many years and I have always
dist-upgraded - even from debian to ubuntu or the other way (which isn't
supported).

The only time I have had issues was when an early karmic alpha update
caused a kernel panic during heavy writing - corrupted cryptroot isn't
fun.

> I've also has WUBI installs go corrupt on me in the past for some
> unknown reason so I do not think they are really stable and good for
> long term use.

I have never used wubi but I know that it has its place for some users.
I also find that if a user is happy with the path they have chosen, let
them stay with it - sometimes pushing people out of their comfort zone
may cause them a world of pain.  For many people moving to linux is
moving out of their comfort zone.  I really don't want to be the guy
that they say was responsible for them fscking their machine :)

Cheers

Dave