If you follow Lisa's original instructions, you should be fine.
Medibuntu should be straightforward to get going, and it takes care of
all the dependency rubbish that you shouldn't have to think about.

You have asked a reasonable question, but unfortunately some of the
No wonder you've been scared off.

I don't think that Linux is hard, it's just different. As an open
system, there are lots of ways to do the same thing, but for most
stuff you'll want to do there's a relatively easy way that is
generally recommended by the community. In this instance, it's setting
up the Medibuntu repository and then installing Skype via the normal
Software Centre.

Bring choice back to your computer.
http://www.linux.org.au/linux