On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 15:04 +1000, Lisa Milne wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 20:13 -0800, Microbe wrote:
> > Maybe that's it.
> >
> > I can now see why someone described this whole process as dependency
> > hell.
> >
> > It is a frustrating tail chasing exercise.
> >
> > Bye Bye Linux.
> >
> > I'll  be back when you are ready.
>
> I tend to think it is more a case of you'll be back when _you_ are
> ready. At present you're trying to drive a car as though it were a
> motorbike, and blaming the car.

This prompted me the think about the whole Linux IS NOT Windows thing.

See http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Expecting Linux to behave the same is not correct and it should be said
that there is still a need for awareness and what expectations you
should be setting for your experience/needs.

That document above to be a very good one to point out for anyone
looking for some clarification on this issue and some assistance on what
you should expect.

I also wanted to point out a personal success with Ubuntu 9.10. I have
this old IBM workstation that has always frustrated me because it
wouldn't work with my 1440x900 monitor resolution. Only ever displayed
the 4:3 ratio resolutions (ie 1024x768) and never looked right on a
widescreen. Loaded 9.10 on it yesterday and lo and behold it is
displaying 1440x900 from the get go. A big box full of win for me.
(Note: your experiences will vary greatly, as will be the same in the
Windows world too).

Regards,

Andrew Swinn