Backport building is even easier. For the most part, no source changes are
required. All you have to do is use "dch -i" to create a new changelog
entry(*) acknowledging that it's a backport, then run pbuilder on this new
source package.

The exception is when the Jaunty version requires a new build dependency
compared to the Intrepid. You can look at the debian/changelog entries to
make an educated guess about whether or not that was necessary. Usually it's
just for forcing a build against a newly uploaded library in Jaunty or
Debian Sid and safe to remove, but when it's not, I've previously asked
Ubuntu devs to make it very clear in the changelog that they weren't kidding
when specifying a build dependency version (for example, nasty bugs in
supporting libraries)

(*) The new changelog entry should be a LOWER version number than Jaunty;
this is so that when you upgrade, you are guaranteed to pull in the new
Jaunty version. If your backport had the exact same or higher version number
as the Jaunty package then APT may not consider it as needing to be
upgraded, leading to confusion and dependency headaches in your next
upgrade! The "~" operator in the version is very helpful: 1.2.3-1~foo is
less than 1.2.3-1. So, Ubuntu convention is to append "~intrepid1" to the
first attempted backport, "~intrepid2" to the 2nd, and so on. Various
unofficial packages uses other ~suffixes so feel free to pick one that
identifies your backports uniquely!

P.S. Also see the "prevu" tool in the Ubuntu repos:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Prevu

It's designed to automate this process in one fell swoop, such as "prevu
bash" which goes to LaunchPad and automatically grabs the newest Jaunty
sources for bash, and builds it. It is powered by pbuilder -- in fact it
uses the "pdebuild" invocation of pbuilder. Prevu also functions just like
the "pdebuild" command when you run it with no arguments within a Debian
source directory so you can use it as a replacement for your pbuilder setup.