Ah, for official backports see the procedure at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

The procedure is more of a quality-assurance (testing) one rather than a
build-and-upload workflow -- the build system takes care of the actual
backporting work....

I'd recommend using prevu's build environment for testing backports; I've
spent the time to make it work more or less out of the box without all this
work :)