Is it our responsibility to create positive impression about others proprietary
or copyrighted materials which has legal and moral conflict with us? We FOSS
people from beginning are against proprietary file formats. We need to convince
people why mp3 is evil but ogg is not. We should not promote people to use mp3
or other proprietary formats.
We have had this argument a lot of times before, Linux IS NOT to promote doors
or windows. I know there are a lot of popular softwares which run only on
Windows. It is more appropriate to ask the software makers to make them
available for Linux instead of asking Linux developers to hack the software to
run on it. Besides, most of the proprietary softwares prohibits any kind of
modification, or reverse engineering clearly in their terms and condition. Just
because we are doing in some cases (mosly for personal reason and then sharing
that knowledge) and nothing is happening does not make these legal in the eye
of justice.
The games which run on windows only, one will need FOSS app Wine to run on it
and that is NO GOOD REASON why Wine should be included in the main distro. If
needed, the user should do it separately and instead of having negative
impression about us, they should have the negative impression about those who
took their freedom away. We are not robin hood or pirates of hi-tech industry.
Remember, popular is not equal to good.
-----
tanjir
visit http://www.tanjir.net