On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Nasimul Haque <nasim.ha...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Naming does not have any relation with standardisation. What is the
> standard of being my name is Nasim and yours is Jewel or someone
> else's is Joe?

 Naming is not too much important. I mentioned that I used name
as example for simplicity. But, naming convention is also important,
specially for a new user.

Say, one need to make a presentation slide. If s/he gets MS Office, he needs
to find out POWER POINT and if s/he gets OpenOffice, s/he needs to find
out IMPRESS. Now, do these name make any sense? Is s/he will able to open
correct program before trying all the  icons? and after getting the correct
one s/he needs to memorize that
Presentaion = POWER POINT in MS Office and
Presentaion = IMPRESS in OpenOffice.

So, though naming is not vital but important.

> Windows has its own standards and Unix world has its own (called POSIX).

Yah, I also say that Windows has its own features and GNU has its own
features, but no common standards. So, problem is lacking of a standard.
(Note: Standards exist for OS, it is maitained in the perspective of
develper but not in the perspective of an end-user. I wanted to say it)

>  When you suggest windows control panel should behave like linux system
>  preference you are encouraging the memorisation. Literacy is not
>  memorising.

If a programmer learns anything like Object/ class/ consturctor/ abstrction/
encapsulation/ .... and uses any product of a company say .NET and if s/he
needs to work on another lanuage like PHP, s/he doesn't need to hunt for
the name, what is used in PHP for that. Just s/he can search for example
of class/constructor in php. And, s/he will get the answer. This is not
memorising, this is from learning. If I need diffrent different name all
time, that is memorisation.

> Having choices is the main goal of the open source movement. This is the
> exact reason you have thousands of Linux distro, hundreds of desktop
> environments, etc.
> You can hop around them and make a choice of yours.

Having choices is good for any software, but thousands of distro (not
version) for same OS rather becomes a trouble for a new user to choose
the right solution.

Source; the main goal of the open source movement is the openness of the
source code. If the source code is not open that is called proprietary
software. And all the open source supporter support open source because
source is open and it gives freedom to the user that s/he can know what s/he
is choosing.

I have many common views that have been mentioned in this thread. So, don't
think I am differing each and every view with you. I am trying to express
those thing that I think missing.
--
Mohammad Mukhtaruzzaman (Jewel)