On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 20:37 +0530, Nishith Nand wrote:

> I know that 32 bit ubuntu has a limit at around 3.3 Gb but I have less
> than that. So, I was hoping that I won't have to install the server or
> the 64bit version. The memory is detected correctly in the BIOS.
> I am using jaunty 32bit, fully upgraded.

Actually the limit of 32-bit entirely depends on your BIOS, it would
only be factually true to say that the limit is "less than 4GB".

A possible scenario is that the BIOS places the first 2GB where you'd
expect, and then leaves a 2GB aperture for things like video card memory
and DMA - placing your final 1GB above the 4GB memory address.

This would result in only 2GB being visible to a 32-bit operating
system, such as Ubuntu i386.

Have you tried an Ubuntu amd64 Live CD?  I assume that your system is
capable of running a 64-bit version.  Does this show the full range of
memory?

If so, I suggest checking your BIOS for such things as apertures and
memory holes to see whether you can have your additional 1GB mapped to
lower memory than it is currently being.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
sc...@canonical.com