Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> On mar, 2009-06-30 at 12:45 -0500, Evan R. Murphy wrote:
>>
>> XChat flashes the notification area, though it can be disabled. Should
>> this be addressed as well, or is it a nonissue because XChat isn't a
>> candidate for default install?
>
> Of course I am not the one who can answer this, but contextually, are
> there written guidelines including the "no flashing allowed" thing? If
> so, that can be added to an eventual bug report to xchat.

Yes, there are. Quoting from the GNOME HIG:

"""
    * Icons should not usually appear animated. They may change to indicate a
change of state, but should not do so when that change is occurs regularly
rapidly. A battery status indicator would usually change slowly, therefore an
icon is appropriate. By contrast, a load meter would always be changing,
therefore it should use a flat image.
    * Any icon may blink to indicate an error in deference to showing an alert.
For example, a printing-in-progress icon may blink when there is a paper jam,
but not when the printer is on fire - that should show an alert.
    * Do not rely on blinking or animation as a means of alerting the user to
any particular event.
"""

http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/desktop-notification-area.html.en

Cheers,