Hi

One thing to consider here is that the FOSS scene gets enough stick
about fragmentation with the sheer number of distributions we already
have. 4 official variations of Ubuntu is enough for me.

You have to remember why Ubuntu works as well as it does in the first
place - because canonical took a core set of software and decided to
support it. By having lots of variations as you propose, it will make QA
orders of magnitude more difficult.

I think this proposal will have to wait until Ubuntu has grown into
something much bigger and much more mature. While Ubuntu is indeed the
flagship of "it just works" distros, I don't think it's quite at the
level it needs to be before we can start diluting efforts.

Cheers

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 08:13 +0200, Gueven Bay wrote:

> > Your description roughly matches the way that Ubuntu is already structured.
>
> Yes, it matches the way Ubuntu is structured. But - as you know - Ubuntu is
> GNU/Linux
> today. The first new proposal of me was to get other free operating systems
> under Ubuntu's
> project.
>
> > That is, I don't see any work to be done on the core OS in order to enable
> > the development of the derivatives you describe.
>
> You are very right. For the core Ubuntu as it is today you don't have any
> work to be done.
> The only work to be done if Ubuntu Metadistribution is going to be reality is
> to include
> the other OSes step for step into the Ubuntu structure (repository, live cds
> and so on).
>
> > There is already a
> > derivative of Ubuntu using the OpenSolaris kernel, for example.
>
> Thank you very much for bringing this distribution into discussion.
> As cool as Nexenta - the Ubuntu OpenSolaris mix disro - is it has in my eyes
> one flaw:
> It mixes two worlds - the world of (Open)Solaris and GNU/Linux- on a very low
> level : It uses the kernel
> of on OS (Solaris) and uses the (low level) libraries and userland of another
> (GNU/Linux).
> This mix is not good.
> For one: The low level libs of GNU and also the userland is today developed
> with Linux in mind.
> But - staying in this example - (Open)Solaris has its own proven and tested
> libs and userland which the
> users of this operating system like and know. The mix on this level is -
> today at least - not good.
> For two: Users who want to use (Open)Solaris want the full (Open)Solaris
> "experience" (I hope you can see
> what I want to say here.) There are many who don't like the GNu userland for
> example.
> (For three: -As the Ubuntu folks come from Debian they would understand this
> - The mixing of libs and userland
> Nexenta does is not clean as the license questions are stil not solved today.)
>
> > So what is it that you are proposing specifically?
>

> What I want is to combine the worlds of several free operating systems with
> the "philosophy" of Ubuntu:
> ease of use, shiny new releases every eye blink , cool community, "business
> awareness"  but - with the combination
> of several operating systems under Ubuntu - the _full_ choice the free
> software world gives.
>
> Let me specify this - with the things I wrote above in mind- in the example
> of Ubuntu/OpenSolaris:
>
> The original OpenSolaris with its libs and docus and userland (in the
> OpenSolaris world these are called consolidations)
> + The packages to get all the functionality of a Ubuntu Release (CD/DVD) from
> the Blastwave repository (this is
> a repo which gives the Solaris user an "apt-get like structure".
> [...]
Alex Jones
http://alex.weej.com/