Hello dear Ubuntu community,

Here I want to propose the development of

Ubuntu Metadistribution

Motivation

There is not only Linux as a free operating system. There are other free
operating systems which have their own strength and advantages.
The Ubuntu Metadistribution would combine the advantages, and also the
communities and also the developers of the other operating systems
under one umbrella. Last but not least the alternative free operating systems
would also get much more publicity.

The Structure

The Ubuntu Metadistribution would have roughly this hierarchic structure:

*                               X11 + Gnome system
*                          Userland + Ubuntu special tools
* Linux Base System * FreeBSD Base System * NetBSD Base System * OpenSolaris
Base System

And with Base System I mean the original base system of the respective
operating system to "catch"
the "philosophy" of the respective OS.

So, the users would get at every release these systems:
Ubuntu/Linux Desktop(as we know it)
Ubuntu/FreeBSD Desktop
Ubuntu/NetBSD Desktop
Ubuntu/OpenSolaris Desktop
Ubuntu/Linux Server(as we know it)
Ubuntu/FreeBSD Server
Ubuntu/NetBSD Server
Ubuntu/OpenSolaris Server

The Advantages

The user could choose the operating system with the appropriate attribute and
functionality for his use. For example someone could
use Ubuntu/NetBSD Desktop for running Ubuntu on his old Amiga4000. Another
could choose Ubuntu/OpenSolaris Server for his HP Server.
And both would get the ease of use we know today from Ubuntu.
As I wrote above the alternative free operating systems would get the big, wide
attention of press as Ubuntu(and with it Linux) gets today.
Then - as I think the strongest advantage - the developers of all these
operating systems and also the various communities would get
united at the Ubuntu sites. This would get a wonderful concentration of
knowledge and experience in one point.

What is your opinion about Ubuntu Metadistribution?

regards
Gueven