[Minimally-knowledgeable user interjecting here:]

Would it help if “possibly complete” bugs were (somehow) easily
distinguishable from other Incomplete bugs? By “possibly complete” I
mean a bug that is marked as Incomplete, but that has had “some”
activity since being marked Incomplete. “Some” activity could be defined
as “any at all” or “at least x new comments or y dupes”, or whatever's
most useful.

If these bugs were distinct from definitely-still-Incomplete bugs, the
latter could be totally ignored by triagers and developers (though
they'd still be useful for bug reporters). It would then only be the
“possibly complete” bugs that needed to be triaged: either confirmed, or
sent back to Incomplete if the new activity is unhelpful.

This might also match some bugs where the original reporter returns to
say “plz fix this kthxbye”, so there'd be some noise, but less (I
suppose) than wading through *all* the incomplete bugs.

For comparison, Mozilla regularly (or maybe occasionally) closes all
Unconfirmed bugs that haven't received any activity in the last 60 days.
(At least, they did the last time I was paying attention properly. Also,
“60” may or may not equal 60.)