Looks like I replied to just Jonas instead of the whole list; sorry,
Jonas.  :-)

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 15:57 +0100, Jonas Jørgensen wrote:
> I would like to ask whether it has been considered to make GParted
> part of the default desktop install, and if so what the reasons were
> for not including it. I would consider partition editing a basic
> feature that should be provided by the operating system and not as an
> add-on program. The fact that the menu entry installs into
> System->Administration rather than the Applications menu proves this
> point, I think. Think of the case of a non-technical Ubuntu user
> asking their geek friend (who is not familiar with Ubuntu) for help
> adding a new hard disk to their computer: The friend would be able to
> find it in System->Administration and set up the drive, but might not
> know where to look for a partition editing program, or the computer
> might not be connected to the internet at the time, and having to
> choose between different partition editors to install seems a bit
> silly in somewhat the same way that having to choose between different
> device managers or display configuration tools might, IMO.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Jonas

        I agree.  One of the things I always do after installing Ubuntu is
install gparted.  Note: even without gparted, one can still partition
from the command line using fdisk, cfdisk, or parted, but this obviously
isn't ideal for an inexperienced user who just wants to partition/format
an external drive or some such.

--Dane