On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 10:26:35PM +0100, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op maandag 03-12-2007 om 15:57 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Jonas
> Jørgensen:
> > I would like to ask whether it has been considered to make GParted
> > part of the default desktop install, and if so what the reasons were
> > for not including it. I would consider partition editing a basic
> > feature that should be provided by the operating system and not as an
> > add-on program. The fact that the menu entry installs into
> > System->Administration rather than the Applications menu proves this
> > point, I think.
>
> GParted is still installed on the live-CD, and was installed on hard
> disk by default in the past.

I don't believe this latter statement is true, except perhaps by a
temporary bug in some milestone CD images [1]. An exhaustive search of
the germinate output for all previous releases states that it has only
ever been installed on the live CD, and not intentionally copied to the
hard disk.

[1] At one point in the history of the live CD installer, it did not
    remove those packages that form part of the installer itself from
    the installed system. I fixed this in version 0.99.21 on 2 March
    2006.

--
Colin Watson                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]