Am 04.12.2007 um 22:12 schrieb Caroline Ford:

> An advanced windows user knows how to install new hard drives, [...]

Yes. Ubuntu says it exists to make _un_experienced users productive.

> new drives should just work.

gparted won't help here. If you want to make sure new, even
unformatted drives just work, you have to provide some sort of one-
click formating on the desktop. Something like "An unknown disk was
found: [ignore] [initialise]". "Initialise" would format a single
partition without asking further technical questions.

Firing up the right application, finding the right disk in a
partitioning GUI and making a making a good decision what to do is
far beyond what an average human knows or wants to know. Even people
like me (25 years of computing experience) have to find out each time
what's the current state of device naming (hda, sda, disk1s3, which
order, ...).

> I don't know why you think my Ubuntu experience is improved by
> giving me
> less configuration options than Windows.

Since when is MS Windows a measure for good user experience? After
all, your favorite partitioner is just a "apt-get install" away.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/